1. I love Peanut M&M’S. When I was a kid, my mom and dad would pour a big bag of Peanut M&M’S into a glass bowl for the family from their bedroom. I still associate that sound as the sound of heaven.
2. I’m a total entrepreneur, although that’s a poorly kept secret.
3. Since I was 14, Aung San Suu Kyi has been one of my greatest heroes. Since she is no longer under house arrest, I have a chance to meet her. I will cry when I do. (Aung San Suu Kyi is a Burmese social democratic stateswoman, politician, diplomat and author who serves as the First and incumbent State Counsellor and Leader of the National League for Democracy. She is also the first female Minister of Foreign Affairs of Myanmar and the Minister of President’s Office in President Htin Kyaw’s Cabinet.)
4. I officiated weddings for more than 1,800 couples in Japan.
5. When I proposed to Monique, she exclaimed, “This is better than a Hallmark movie!” Luckily, this was after she said yes.
6. I was living in Japan when the Kobe earthquake happened, and received a police escort three times during our disaster relief efforts.
7. As founder of 36ixty, I have been to 40 countries and know how many speeches I’ve made, organizations I’ve helped, people I’ve interviewed, and billions generated. (Yes, somebody counted! I should also mention that my mentors taught me to count.)
8. My mom and dad, Rick and Connie Justus, were Christian missionaries in Japan for 30 years. My many siblings and I helped out.
9. I’m the second oldest, and oldest son, of 11 children. (Yes, you read that right!)
10. In between building an empire and constant research, I like to relax by playing the piano.
11. I got lost in the Everest Region of the Himalayas and survived.
12. I hosted an investor meeting on a sandbar in the Hundred Islands National Park in the Philippines.
13. I am, and always will be, a fan of taco salad over rice.
14. One of the things I love most about what I do is the personal stories people share and co-create with me and my team. Some of them are heartbreaking. Some are inspiring. Their stories have taught me many of the invaluable lessons of life.
15. I have summited Mt. Fuji 10 times. Here’s a well-known saying in Japan: “If you climb it once, you’re wise. If you climb it twice, you’re a fool.”
16. I am committed to becoming the next Sir Richard Branson. (Before you tell me I should just be myself, ask me what I mean by this.)
17. One of my most memorable clients was a company that provided rental construction equipment. I personally built more than 1,000 outhouses, and fixed many that were still in use!
18. Monique and I love going on the ferry to Bainbridge Island, and introducing our family and friends to a wonderful flight of wine and chocolate covered blue cheese balls.
19. I’ve been pulled over by the police twice for riding a 9-foot unicycle in the city.
20. My best friend was Phil Smart Sr. He sat at the bedside of more than 6,500 children at Seattle Children’s Hospital, what he called The Miracle House. He died at age 93. What a man. What a friend. Phil, I miss you, and I will always love you.
21. My dad once told me, “Son, reading makes a broad man. Writing makes an exact man.” Best advice I ever got.
22. One day, my mom opened a small window and dumped a pitcher of ice cold water over my head. I yelled, “Mom!” She said, “I’m just watering my plants.” I get my sense of humor from her.
23. I colored my hair jet black for a year and a half thinking I resembled Superman. I’m still wondering why no one told me how horrible I looked.
24. My greatest inspiration in dealmaking was Bruce Wasserstein who completed more than 1,000 merger and acquisition deals to the tune of $250 billion. He dared me to be great.
25. One of my favorite quotes is, “The true measure of a life is not its duration, but its donation.”
26. I redefined legacy. Legacy is a person’s greatest contribution at work, at home, and in life, especially in the present.
27. One of the things I’ve learned in the trenches of business is just how much leaders want more success in less time. I’ve chosen to devote my life to it.
28. I have Gold status at Starbucks.
29. I’m committed to writing at least 100 books in my lifetime.
30. Sir Richard Branson and I will do business together, and he doesn’t know it yet.
31. I think I’d be really good at restorative yoga. (This is meant to be funny.)
32. I have bowed more than a million times.
33. When I was a teenager, I was officially clocked in Japan 3 seconds shy of a world record in the 800-meter run.
34. I am committed to impacting more than 1 billion people.
35. I love being a dad to our 5 kids, and my greatest hope is that I inspire them to reflect more, risk more, and do more things that live on after they’re dead. What I know is that more is caught than taught.
36. I am deeply in love with Monique, and I’m committed to loving her uncommonly well for the rest of my life.